Main Article Content
This study aims to examine students' problem solving abilities in mathematics with different achievement motivation between those taught through problem based learning and discussion. The design of this study uses quasi-experimental forms of Non-equivalent Control Group Design. The experimental group from this study was given PBL treatment, while the control group was treated with the discussion method. The data of this study were analyzed by the Univariate Analysis of Variance technique. The results showed that (1) there was a significant effect between PBL models and discussion models on students 'problem solving abilities, (2) there was a significant effect between students with high and low achievement motivation on students' problem solving abilities, (3) there were interactions between PBL models, achievement motivation and student problem solving abilities. So that it can be concluded that students who learn with the PBL model have a better ability to solve problems than students who learn with a discussion model. Students with high achievement motivation have better problem solving skills than students with low achievement motivation. The final conclusion is that students' problem solving abilities can be achieved well if they pay attention to both variables at once, namely the model and achievement motivation.
- Arends, R. . (2008). Learning to Teach (Belajar untuk Mengajar). Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar.
- Bell, S. (2010). Project-Based Learning for the 21st Century: Skills for the Future. The Clearing House: A Journal of Educational Strategies, Issues and Ideas, 83(2), 39–43. https://doi.org/10.1080/00098650903505415
- Gorghiu, G., Drăghicescu, L. M., Cristea, S., Petrescu, A.-M., & Gorghiu, L. M. (2015). Problem-based Learning - An Efficient Learning Strategy in the Science Lessons Context. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 191, 1865–1870. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.04.570
- Häkkinen, P., Järvelä, S., Mäkitalo-Siegl, K., Ahonen, A., Näykki, P., & Valtonen, T. (2017). Preparing teacher-students for twenty-first-century learning practices (PREP 21): a framework for enhancing collaborative problem-solving and strategic learning skills. Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice, 23(1), 25–41. https://doi.org/10.1080/13540602.2016.1203772
- Hidayat, T., Susilaningsih, E., & Kurniawan, C. (2018). The effectiveness of enrichment test instruments design to measure students’ creative thinking skills and problem-solving. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 29, 161–169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2018.02.011
- Junianto, D., W. (2013). Pengaruh Kinerja Mengajar Guru, Keterlibatan Orang Tua, Aktualisasi Diri dan Motivasi Berprestasi Terhadap Prestasi. Jurnal Pendidikan Vokasi, 3, 307–319.
- Mc Clelland, D. C. (1985). Human Motivation. Chicago: Scott Foresman.
- McClelland, D.C., Winter, D. G. (1969). Motivating Economic Achievement. New York: Free Press.
- Pelawi, H.S., Sinulingga, K. (2016). Pengaruh Model Problem Based Learning dan Motivasi Belajar terhadap Hasil Belajar Siswa di Kelas X SMA Swasta Sinar Husni. Jurnal Pendidikan Fisika, 5(1), 32–37.
- Rusman. (2011). Model-Model Pembelajaran Mengembangkan Profesionalitas Guru. Jakarta: Raja Grafindo Persada.
- Sari, A.N.S., Taman, A. (2013). Pengaruh Motivasi Berprestasi dan Persepsi Siswa Tentang Metode Mengajar Guru Terhadap Prestasi Belajar Siswa SMK Negeri 1 Pengasih. Jurnal Pendidikan Akuntansi Indonesia, 11(1), 112–128.
- Shin, S., & Song, H. D. (2016). Finding the optimal scaffoldings for learners’ epistemological beliefs during ill-structured problem solving. Interactive Learning Environments, 24(8), 2032–2047. https://doi.org/10.1080/10494820.2015.1073749
- Wulandari, N. H., Widayati, K. A., & Suryobroto, B. (2016). Cognitive Style and Creative Quality: Influence on Academic Achievement of University Students in Indonesia. HAYATI Journal of Biosciences, 23(3), 121–124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hjb.2016.09.001
- Yu, K. C., Fan, S. C., & Lin, K. Y. (2015). Enhancing Students’ Problem-Solving Skills Through Context-Based Learning. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, (May). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10763-014-9567-4